Position Title Collections Assistant (Two Openings)
Temporary 1-year project
Position Summary: The Collections Assistant is responsible for completing a temporary Photograph Collection Cataloging, Digitizing, and Rehousing project funded in part by the Minnesota Historical and Cultural Heritage Grants program administered by the Minnesota Historical Society as part of the Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund.
Location: Goodhue County Historical Society 1166 Oak Street, Red Wing, MN 55066
Compensation: $17.50 an hour
Status & Hours: Full–time, temporary (approximately 2,080 annual hours) position
Posting Date: January 8, 2024
Deadline Date: Open Until Filled – Priority will be given to applications received before January 29, 2024.
Directly reports to Archivist
1. Cataloging- The Collections Assistant will catalog items from the GCHS Photograph collection for proper documentation and efficient retrieval of items.
2. Digitization- The Collections Assistant will digitize photos for preservation and access purposes from the GCHS Photo collection.
3. Rehousing of Collection—The Collections Assistant will assist in the rehousing of the collection to ensure long-term preservation and stabilization of photos.
· Must be able to lift 10 lbs. or more on occasion.
· Must be able to stand or sit for long periods and perform repetitive tasks.
· Should be able to work as a team member.
· Must be self-motivated.
· Knowledge of collections software with a preference for Collective Access.
· Bachelor’s or higher degree in History, Art History, Archives, or Museum Studies preferred but related fields are acceptable.
· At least 1 year of experience as a paid staff member or volunteer in a museum is required with most of that experience within collections. Candidates having experience working with material culture, conducting inventories, or archives are preferred.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may submit a cover letter, resume, and 2 references.
The candidate selected to fill this position will be subject to a background check prior to receiving a formal offer.
The Goodhue County Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Goodhue County Historical Society is the first and oldest continuously operating Historical Society in Minnesota. The Society’s History Center at 1166 Oak Street is a 28,000-square-foot facility situated on park-like bluff lands overlooking historic downtown Red Wing, the boathouse village, and the Mississippi River Valley. The Goodhue County History Center collection encompasses approximately 250,000 historic artifacts including objects, paper documents, clothing, and photographs relating to the Goodhue County area.
Goodhue County History Center
1166 Oak Street – Red Wing MN 55066